Monday, March 2, 2009

Airy May

I remember walking to the drug store
Spending my days, turning into nights
I remember the silence of the rain
Fifty, sixty drops per second
I don't know, I don't know, I guess
My zipper shuts up magazines
All the loud cover girls
And candy bars in my pockets

Maybe I'll make it home for "Jeopardy!"
This night, I sneeze; I think of you
Though I do not know your face
You haunt my every step
Every sloshing pothole
From speed bump to speed bump
The slippery handrail
The broken bottle glass

All I think with my head down,
"Love, I do not have,
For one long weekend."
I wish that you were here with me
To pass away the evening
Walk along my side
And underneath my arm
Borrowing my coat

I settle down on the couch
My seat will carry double weight
The chair a second set of thighs
These things I didn't realize now
Or how important they might be
When your waist is in my hands
And your breasts against my cheek
Softly, deeply breathe

When I close my eyes at night
I swear you're really there

No comments: